What makes a good teacher?
There are certain things that make up a good teacher.
Mastering teaching skills: - effective instruction
(teaching) is a matter of one person with more knowledge than
another transmitting it to the other. It is important for a teacher
* task-motivate their student
* merge the classroom
* assess prior knowledge of the students
* communicate ideas effectively
* take into account the characteristics of the learners
* assess learners outcomes
* review information
Good teaching can be taught.
It has to be observed and practiced, but there are principles
of good teaching that teachers should know. These can then be
applied in the classroom. These major components are:
* Knowledge of the subject and teaching resources
* Critical thinking and problem solving skills
* Knowledge of students and their learning
* Teaching and communication skills
There are certain things that make
a teacher outstanding at what they do.
One of these things is called intentionality. Intentionality means
doing things for a reason, or on purpose. Intentional teachers
are those who are constantly thinking about the outcomes that
they want for their students. They think about how each decision
they make moves their students towards this outcome. They realize
that being a good teacher and teaching a lot to a student
does not happen by chance. They constantly ask themselves:
* What goals they and their students are trying to accomplish?
* Whether each portion of their lesson is appropriate to the
students knowledge, skills and needs?
* Whether each activity or assignment is clearly related to a
* Whether each instructional minute is used wisely and well?
An intentional teacher uses a wide
variety of methods, experiences, assignments and materials to
be sure that their students are achieving all sorts of cognitive
objectives. Along the way a teacher will make sure that a student
is learning knowledge, creativity, application of knowledge, and
affective objectives such as love of learning, respect for others
and personal responsibility. The way that a teacher can become
an outstanding teacher is related to teacher efficacy. Teacher
efficacy is a teacher thinking that he or she is making a difference,
and is at the heart of what it means to be an intentional teacher.
Development & Education