Cognitive Strategies & Athletic Success
There are certain mental and cognitive
strategies that athletes can use to help themselves
with competition and athletic success.
Successful athletes show a number of cognitive
strategies, such as:
* regulating and managing arousal levels,
* showing self-confidence,
* using concentration and focus,
* feeling in control and not forcing things,
* using positive imagery
* exercising commitment and determination,
* setting goals,
* having well-developed plans and well-developed coping strategies
Sport psychologists suggest some Guidelines For Practice:
* To enhance confidence, practice specific plans to deal with
problems during competition.
* Practice routines to deal with unusual circumstances and distractions
before and during competition.
* Concentrate wholly on the upcoming performance and block out
irrelevant events and thoughts.
* Use several mental rehearsals prior to competition.
* Don't worry about other competitors before a competition - instead
focus on what you can control - your own performance.
* Develop detailed competition plans.
* Learn to regulate arousal and anxiety.
Performance - PST
Aspects of PST